From Healthy Food Guide March 2013.
- 1-2 eggplants sliced
- olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 190c. Arrange eggplant slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray/paint with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick pan and cook onion and garlic until softened.
- Add tomatoes, pesto, sugar and chilli. Simmer for about 4 minutes until sauce has reduced. Add most of the basil. Season to taste.
- Place half of eggplant slices in lightly greased baking dish. Spoon over half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve garnished with remainder of the fresh basil.
Kim Edit: I quite like adding roasted asparagus, roasted mushroom, 2 tablespoons of cut up sundried tomato and 2 tablespoons of marinated artichoke. Yum.