Chilli Bean Gratin
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped, or 2 dried bird’s eye chillies, crushed
- 2 x 400g, cans white beans or chick peas, drained, rinsed and drained again (cannelloni beans are nice)
- 440g can Italian tomatoes, mashed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated cheese to cover the top (firm mozzarella is good)
- Put oil in a medium saucepan and set it over a low heat. Add onion and Chilli, cover with a lid and cook until softened. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Increase heat and cook for about 10 minutes, until no longer watery.
- Transfer to a shallow ovenproof gratin dish and sprinkle over cheese. Put a lid on the dish and warm it through in a oven preheated to 180C (fan bake) for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Alternatively cook it briefly under a hot grill until cheese is bubbling.
It’s quite nice if you fry potato and add to the bean mix. Serve with a egg on top. Baked beans and eggs for adults!