Skillet pizza – potato and leek
My latest challenge has to been to develop a good vegan pizza – without the use of vegan cheese. Obviously it wasn’t going to be cheesy but I wanted it to have a combination of flavours and textures that satisfied my pizza appetite.
At the same time, I also want to document the cast-iron skillet + grill (US: broiler) technique I use to cook pizza these days.
Makes 3 medium pizzas, serves 3-4.
You will need a cast-iron skillet and a grill (US: broiler).
- 0.5 cup raw cashews
- 0.25 cup water (approx)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (approx)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 180ml warm water
- 315g strong flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3-6 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp extra light olive oil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fresh (or dried) rosemary
- 2 cups diced roasted potatoes (about 3 good sized potatoes)
- 1 leek – sliced
The general order of things is:
- Much earlier – make pizza dough and leave to rise
- Earlier – roast potatoes
- Make cashew sauce
- Prep other ingredients
- Make pizza
- Eat pizza
- Combine ingredients and blend.
The texture should be spreadable, add more extra virgin olive oil if required.
- Mix yeast into warm water and leave 10 minutes to develop. It should froth up a bit. If it doesnt, either the water is too hot or the yeast is dead, try again.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well, pour in yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Mix to combine.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until it’s all the same consistency and springs back when pressed.
- Apply a fine coat of olive oil, put back in the bowl and cover. Leave in a warm place until it has risen to at least twice the original size.
Get everything ready first.
- Take a third of the dough and roll out to the size of your skillet.
- Heat the skillet to medium-hot and the grill to medium.
- Put 1 tbsp of extra-light olive oil into the skillet.
- Put the rolled out dough into the skillet.
- Coat with about 2 tablespoons of the cashew cream and 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste (to taste).
- Sprinkle leeks, roast potatoes, rosemary and salt.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top.
- Put the skillet under the grill.
- Leave under the grill until it looks cooked (some slight blackening is expected).
- Return the skillet to the burner and cook until the base is done (it should be nicely browned).
- Remove, slice and serve.